It’s summer vacation season, and for a lot of us that means a significant amount of extra time playing golf. Whether you’re an experienced golf veteran or just starting to play, here are five tips that’ll help you look your absolute best as you tee up.
1. Know the rules. While course dress codes aren’t nearly as restrictive as they were fifty years ago, there are still quite a few guidelines and expectations, so your best bet is to err on the side of caution, and find out if there are any absolute no-nos. Private courses in particular can be fussy about requiring a shirt with a collar, or specifying what types of shorts are acceptable.
2. Comfort is still king. As with any sport, it’s important that you can move easily and that you’re not feeling distracted by how your clothes fit or the texture of the fabric. In the summer especially, you’ll want cool, breathable fabrics, and if you’re playing in a hot, sunny climate, you’ll want to stick to lighter colors.
3. Be bold. Golf is one of those situations where looking a little out of the ordinary is, well, par for the course. With a golf outfit, you can get away with being a bit more matchy-matchy than you normally would, and you can play around with bolder colors. You don’t have to, of course – there’s nothing wrong with sticking to neutrals, especially if you’re likely to wear your golf clothes to other places.
4. Dress for your body type. Of course this is something you should always be doing, but it’s even more important than usual on the golf course. Like most sports clothing, golf clothes tend to be cut a bit less generously, so pay extra attention when you’re trying things on, and if you’re not sure what looks best for your body type, don’t be afraid to ask an associate.
5. A little tailoring goes a long way. Loose, oversized clothes won’t do you any favors, either in terms of your look or your performance on the fairway. Golf clothes need to fit extremely well, so if off-the-rack isn’t quite getting the job done, ask to have your items tailored. You’ll be surprised at how much of a difference even small alterations can make to your overall appearance.
If you’re not sure where to start with building or upgrading your golf wardrobe, come in and have a look at the new Ted Baker Golf collection, exclusive to Davelle, or ask about our custom polos, which are an excellent choice on or off the course.